Bridgwater Heritage Group

The Historic Environment
Bridgwater Archives Bridgwater Scientists Bridgwater Heritage Friarn Research


The Telescopic Bridge


Although still standing, the Telescopic or Black Bridge is no longer able to move as it was originally intended to allow shipping to pass up the Parrett.

It was opened in 1871 and was based on Brunel's 1846 telescopic bridge across the River Arun near Little Hampton in Sussex. The older example was made of wood, making Bridgwater's the only metal telescopic bridge in the world, and one of only two of its type ever made.

The masonry was built by Warburton Brothers Ltd. of Bristol and the cast iron and steel by Lloyds, Foster and Co. of Wednesbury. For the first eight months of operation it had to be opened by manual winches before a steam engine was installed. It bore both standard and broad gauge tracks (used until 1892) and had a pedestrian walkway installed on the south side. The railway primarily led to the docks, but also to a pottery (which included Chandos' old Glass Cone), the Starkey Knight and Ford brewery, as well as the Timber Yard and Cake Mills (now Bowerings) both on the far side of the docks.

The bridge was last mechanically opened in 1957 and the steam engine from the engine house was removed in the early 1960s. Some of the ruined mechanism can still be seen on the site of the engine house, when it is not overgrown with brambles. It was converted into a road bridge in 1983 and during its conversion it was opened for the last time, before being permanatly fixed into place. Since the nearby Chandos Bridge was built in 1988 it has been a purely pedestrian crossing.


Plan showing how the Bridge Worked



Sources
Considerable thanks are expressed to Mr. Marc Welham for his memories concerning the bridge being opened during its conversion.

Squibbs,P.,Squibbs' History of Bridgwater (1982)
Lawrence and Lawrence, A History of Bridgwater (2005)
Fitzhugh, R., Bridgwater and the River Parrett (1993)
Murless, B., Bridgwater Docks and the River Parrett (1983)
Dunning, R., Bridgwater: History and Guide (1992)
All Content © Bridgwater Heritage Group, unless otherwise stated. All rights reserved, do not reproduce material without permission.

Comments on the site? Queries on Bridgwater history or heritage? Contributions to the site?
Contact us here.