< Bridgwater Heritage Group
Bridgwater Heritage Group

St Mary's Church
Bridgwater Archives Bridgwater Scientists Lost Bridgwater Friarn Research


Penel Orlieu


The name Penel Orlieu is a corrupted combination of two medieval street names in the vicinity of the West Gate.

Orlove Street (variously Ordlovestrete, Oreloue, Ordlof, Ordloue, Orloues, Horlokestrete Horlokkestrete) is probably derived from the family of Ordlof (Bridgwater document of 1260) or Orloc. The street ran parallel to High Street from the Castle Ditch to Pig Cross, and its remnants are now called Clare Street.

The first documentary reference is dated 9 December 1321: "Conveyance of two-ninths of a burgage in Horlokesstrete by Nicholas Prymmensone to John Parewastel and Iseult, his sister".

The document is preserved in the Somerset County Record Office. It is of particular interest, as Iseult Parewastel made a pilgrimage to Jerusalem some time after 1321. There, she was captured and tortured on the rack by the Saracen. She escaped, and returned to Bridgwater by 1368.

Penel Street (Pynelysstret, Pynelestret, Pynellesstret) was very small street at the west end of Orloue Street. It may have been synonymous with Cronile's Lane.

In a bond dated 24 March 1352, John Pynel leases a tenement with two curtilages in Pynel's Street (Pynelysstret) to John le Eyr, a baker or miller (pistori) and Isolda, his wife.

Source: Bridgwater Borough Archives 1200-1377, ed T B Dilks, Somerset Record Society, vol 48 1933


23 September 2010. P Cattermole. All Content © Bridgwater Heritage Group, unless otherwise stated. All rights reserved, do not reproduce material without permission.

Comments on the site? Queries on Bridgwater history or heritage? Contributions to the site?
Contact us here.